Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Revolution Will Not Be Automated

The revolution will not be automated.
It will not be delivered as a turn key solution or As A Service.
There will be no button to hit, switch to throw or command centre from which to run it.
The revolution will be hard, human, challenging, changing work.
Without the will to undergo cultural change all the tech will do is smear a little make up on the corpse of the past and prop it up in a chair. That won't fool anyone for long.
Treat me like a customer and I will buy your stuff. Treat me like a partner and I will help you make it.
Show me the console with a 'treat me like a partner', button.
Show me the console with 'understand behavioural change' on it.
Hell, show me the console with 'make better messages' on it - let alone 'make better products and services'.

There's a marvellous scene in Monty Python's Holy Grail in which Arthur's Knights arrive at a French castle and ask the guards if their master will join Arthur on his quest for the Holy Grail.
They say it's not very likely he'll bother since... "He already has one."

They were lieing too.

1 comment:

  1. David,
    Well said! The revolution has never been automated and never will be.

    Any one who thinks otherwise is selling 'snake-oil'!

    Adrian

    ReplyDelete

FasterFuture.blogspot.com

The rate of change is so rapid it's difficult for one person to keep up to speed. Let's pool our thoughts, share our reactions and, who knows, even reach some shared conclusions worth arriving at?